Friday, March 23, 2012

End Honeymoon Stage

Of teaching English, that is.

After about a month and a half of teaching English, it turns out I dont actually enjoy it and Im probably not very good at it. I get positive feedback from my students, but the school system here is REALLY horrific (for example, one of my Level 3 students' public school English teacher is my student in a separate Level 1 class) so it sort of makes sense.

I have a class in particular who exhausts me to the very bone. At first excited by their 'enthusiasm' and 'energy', certain that this class would be my 'most fun' and 'most entertaining,' I now find myself reluctant to plan it and needing two advil and three beers afterward (this, is not a joke). Im frustrated because I dont see why I should put my time an energy into a class who cant sit through a low energy class because it is too low energy, but at the same time cant sit through a high energy class because they go BUCK WILD. I am also frsutrated because I am a volunteer here and I am in no way obligated to be here, to teach English to 20-somethings who act like 13 year olds and scream through an entire two hour class. I am feeling tired and run-down and stuck in a small town and frustrated by the Brazilian school system doing something I am not that passionate about.

Thank the sweet, sweet heavens I booked a plane ticket to Argentina for two weeks. This reduces my time teaching here, and in just two weeks I get a heavenly heavenly break.

So, when I leave here, the only thing I will ever teach again is yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment