Monday, January 30, 2012

Evento de Capoeira

Greetings! I am taking capoeira classes (read: I am playing capoeira with 4-10 year olds who can all kick my ass) and the day I got back from Jacobina, my mestre invited me to go to a capoeira event over the weekend. I guess once a month, different capoeira schools get together, play, practice, and party. I said yes with some hesitance: a lot was going on at AEC-TEA over the weekend and I wanted to be here, but I figured I wouldn´t really have the chance to go to an event like this when things get busy.

I went from being very nervous to sahooooo happy in those two days. We played a little in a town called Pereira with the kids from Capim Grosso, piled 50+ people on a rickety bus, and drove on roads a school bus should not EVER be on to a small small small town called Rua Nova. Hot and dry and small, with landscape just like Arizona. Anywhooo. It was kind of like going to summer camp, except you don´t know anyone there, they have been going to camp together for 5 years, and you speak a different language. I was nervous.

The first night, we walked to the praça playing the instruments and singing, and played in the praça. I sincerely regret not capturing this on camera: the entire town gathered and watched incredible capoeristas play. At one point, one of the professors took me in the middle and introduced me to the ENTIRE TOWN (who, during the parties, treated me like I was a shiny new toy). It was quite embarrasing but really so fun.

I can´t say enough good things about brasileiros, they just want to know you and help you understand the language. At one point, my mestre took me aside and said ´you know you are the only person in this town who speaks english, right?´this was a WILD realization for me! Some kids asked me to say phrases in English, and when I did were speechless - wide eyed and mouths open. I told them ´yeah? this is how you sound to me when you speak Português!´

The next day the real event started: capoeira from 10-3 and then a giant samba party from then on. I played, took photos, videos, etc... here is a teaser of some of the photos!





My body was tired after large amounts of capoeira, my mind was tired from only-Português, and for some reason I got a little homesick here (I think it was watching mestre with his daughter - made me miss my dad!). However, I am so glad I went!

1 comment: