Friday, February 10, 2012

Classes, CAPS-I, and CHAOS

English classes at AEC-TEA began this week! The pace of life has picked up, and it's been an experience for me to teach my native language. People have told me English is a hard language to teach, and I never realized it until I was forced to explain why a verb is irregular ("It just is?") or how to describe the concept of leadership with limited portuguese and, on their side, limited English.

I have a crazy range of classes. Level 1 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, starting from scratch, easy because everyone is starting from the same place, but not easy because everyone is starting from the same place. Level 4 on Mondays and Wednesdays is with one middle-aged man who has a solid level of English, and he just desires conversation. Level 3's energy level is through the roof, 14 20-somethings who are all great friends and need LOTS of hands-on, engaging activity.

And, in the process of learning to teach English, I am also learning to teach English in Brasil, which means everything operates on Brasil time, which means I can (and should) start teaching at 7 pm, but people continue rolling in until 8. Which means not a lot can be accomplished in the first hour because we always have to review for people who just walked in.

Despite the ups and downs of teaching classes, I am a huge fan of the students - who, for the most part, are present and eager to learn. I am excited at the possibility of becoming friends with them, especially those in my level 3 class.

Along with beginning classes, I've started my community projects. CAPS-I, a center for adults with physical and mental disabilities, has been a serious source of joy for me. I worked with people with special needs during Capernaum week at Lost Canyon (and loved it!) but since then have been busy with other things; special needs was never a priority for me. At CAPS-I, I play capoeira, futebol, maculele, art projects, whatever, with special needs adults and walk away elated every time. It is also awesome to be away from AEC-TEA more, and I think of my time at CAPS-I as my own personal "portuguese class".

In other news, in the beginning of February the police went on strike in Salvador, with other cities in Bahia following (Capim Grosso's police went on strike as well). Some have described Salvador as a "warzone," saying things like "THIS IS HELL" and "I don't leave my house." Others have said, "I go on with my life as normal but I'm pissed because I have to leave my job early." Over a hundred people have died in the chaos of the strike. We have been talking about it a LOT here, and some people firmly believe it is completely sensationalized, others are a little more wary.

Which, of course, has us a little wary. Carnaval alone has the reputation of having a wild, crazy, and at times violent atmosphere. When you take a huge disparity between the rich and the poor in a big city, throw a party in the big city, and pack the party with 2 million people (locals and tourists from around the world), shit usually hits the fan in one way or another. Now, even though the strike has ended, one of our friends has predicted even more violence than usual, because "the police are going to be super, super pissed off and beating the shit out of people."

Bring it on, Salvador!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great update Alex. We're all fine here. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. A police strike would be scary anywhere. Are you scared? Any scary stuff happen? Be carful during carnaval. Have u seen the movie Rio? Miss you!

    ReplyDelete